become an organ donor...please!

>> August 30, 2008


Thought it was time to give everyone a little eye update.  For those who don't know I have a corneal disease called keratoconus which affects the shape of the cornea greatly distorting my vision.  I had 2 surgeries 2 years ago to implant rings in the hopes of slowing down the disease process.  Welp...it's not working out so well.  I had a check up at my ophthalmologist last week who said I needed a cornea transplant ASAP on my right eye.  I've noticed my vision has been a little more blurry lately and I've been getting more headaches, but didn't think I'd need a transplant right now.  So...Sept. 25th is the day of surgery.  It'll be about a year long recovery process and I'll have 2 weeks off from work.  I won't be able to read/watch t.v./use a computer during those 2 weeks - it's going to be a little boring to say the least.   I'm definitely anxious and scared about the surgery and the recovery period, but thankful that there is something available to help my vision.  I'll keep you all updated and post lots of great pics of me with my eye patch.  I've decided this is the year to be a pirate for Halloween!

3 comments:

Unknown August 31, 2008 at 10:55 AM  

hada graft last year- for great advice and support go here:
http://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

good luck

Heather August 31, 2008 at 5:34 PM  

dang it. i am glad that you are getting what you need, but i wish you didn't have to go through surgery and healing! i'll call soon and we can chat! love ya!

Chad and Cate Kuhlmann September 1, 2008 at 7:29 PM  

oh....sorry julie...that sucks big time. Just to let you know sept 25th is a good day though (my b-day), so i'm sure everything will go ok. Call me when your healing to catch up ok.

Post a Comment