coloring, swimming and 3 cute kids.

>> March 8, 2016

What's going on this week? Coloring. Lots and lots and lots of coloring. Carter and Lucy have both been sitting at our craft table, kitchen table or just standing in the kitchen using the countertop to spread out their crayons, markers and colored pencils and just coloring away. Every day they usually make a picture for at least 3 of their friends, one for me and another for a grandma/teacher/neighbor/dog. It's been fun to see them improve their coloring skills, although I must admit, the stack of coloring pages littering the craft table is getting a little overwhelming. And of course if I ever try to recycle some a mountain of tears will surely ensue.
 Lucy is still taking swim lessons and doing so well. It's kind of become our Friday morning tradition all year to drop Carter off at school and head over to the aquatic center. Last week Carter had a day off from school for conferences so instead of making him sit and watch her swim lesson I had the great idea of taking all 3 kids swimming by myself! I must say they all were amazing and it was so much fun to let Simon experience the pool for the first time. Since I was alone there aren't any pictures of him (or the other two kids) actually swimming in the water but I thought this shot of them sitting on a wet, dirty locker room floor would be better than nothing.
 I must say, though. Getting 3 kids out of the pool, dried off, redressed and then getting myself redressed is no easy feat. Why must it be so hard?!? Between wet towels, swim trunks that are getting stuck, a curious crawling baby, snacks that want to be eaten, attempting to maintain just a bit of privacy and collecting our 2 huge bags of stuff I was exhausted when we got back to the car! Worth it though, such a fun morning.
 Later in the day I had Carter finish up his science experiment for the upcoming school science fair. He chose to do a gummy bear experiment to see what would happen if we put a gummy bear in water versus baking soda. I was so proud of him and how he really learned each step of the scientific method. It's fun to hear him use the word "hypothesis" correctly in other conversations throughout the day too! Plus, eating the extra gummy bears is kinda fun. Being the science nerd that I am I loved helping him through this. Being the perfectionist that I am, I cringed when he wanted to color a rainbow and gummy bear man on his board but knew this was important to him. My goal was for him to really own this project and not present something that clearly looked like a parent did all the work. So he cut, colored, wrote and glued the whole board together! More pics to come once he actually presents it at school.
 This little one is keeping me on my toes. His new favorite things to crawl to? The wall heaters and electrical outlets. He's quickly mastered how to take out the outlet covers and attempt to put his teeny little fingers in the holes. Goodness Simon! I thought a laundry basket would help me contain him one morning and it worked, for a few minutes at least.
 And some exciting news! We are (slowly) transforming the backyard to get it ready for summer! Taking down more trees and making room for the new play structure. I can't wait to get it set up (who am I kidding....for Matt and a few of his friends to build the thing) so the kids can be outside and get more energy out. Right now climbing trees and digging in dirt is their activity of choice. They love it, but swings/slides/playhouse/sandbox will be pretty fun too!



0 comments:

Post a Comment