halloween 2017.

>> November 1, 2017

I was never really big into Halloween until I had kids. And now it's one of my favorite holidays. The excitement that builds as the day approaches, the adorable costumes, parties and traditions. And the unofficial start to the big holiday season. It's really the best!
We've continued to have amazing weather in the PNW. I always say summer is my favorite season but fall is right behind it. The colors of the leaves falling to the ground and the crisp, sunny afternoons are simply beautiful. We had amazing weather the days leading up to Halloween and probably the nicest night I can remember while trick or treating! 
Those bright sunny afternoons? Best spent at the park. Simon continues to be an active toddler climbing and jumping onto and off of everything. 


We watched Lucy's last soccer game of the season this past weekend. They were 7-1 for the season and played so well together as a team. Tonight we get to celebrate with a team pizza party, so excited for her!
This has nothing to do with Halloween but I was so excited I couldn't help but share. We got a bed! That sounds weird, we've had a bed (like a mattress) but have never had a bed frame/headboard/anything remotely resembling a beautiful master bedroom. I've wanted one since we got married over 10 years ago and we finally saved up the money to buy it. Technically it's time to upgrade our mattress and I want to replace our nightstands too but for now I'm so happy with what we chose. We always put it off choosing to spend money on the kids rooms or another house project but for our anniversary this is all I really wanted. So, hooray!!!

We finally carved our pumpkins a few days before Halloween too! Between the pumpkins Grandpa Tom grew for the kids in his garden, plus the ones we randomly purchased at the store one day there were plenty to choose from. The kids scooped out all the guts, sorted out the seeds and I did the carving trying my best to follow their requested designs. They turned out pretty great!






We spent the rest of the weekend playing outside, watching the Seahawks win a big game and putting the final touches on our Halloween costumes before a week of parties.

Monday morning Simon got to attend his first preschool Halloween party! He dressed up, of course, as a baseball player and was so cute!



And then it was the big kids' turn. I love that their school still lets kids dress up, have a party and even a school costume parade. I think it's so important to put the normal curriculum aside and let kids be kids for a few special days each year. I was able to attend both of their classroom parties and go around in the parade too. Such a fun afternoon!










We came home, put the school stuff away and got ready for our annual Vance/Boal Halloween soup dinner. One of my best friends has come over with her family for the past 4 years to eat a delicious soup dinner and go out trick or treating together. It's so fun to let the kids run around and enjoy a hot meal before walking in the cold.
Her daughter was so cute in her big birthday cake costume!




We met up with some other friends in the neighborhood while we were out and went to as many houses as we could to get ALL the candy!

After about 1.5 hours of walking around (little ones walk slow!) we came home to check out the loot. And, oh my goodness...we have so.much.candy.



This morning the kids woke up and quickly emptied out their bags again to admire their stash, make trades and count and sort (easy way to incorporate some math homework in for Carter too!)
 Another great Halloween to add to the memory book!


0 comments:

Post a Comment