don't feed the ducks.

>> October 18, 2012


I made a bad parenting decision yesterday.  Not my first and most definitely not my last.  Let me explain.
Carter has been wanting to go feed some ducks for a few months.  Every time he mentions it we are at a park but have no bread.  So, we saved a few pieces for that special day when I would remember to bring it. 
Since moving to Bothell we have found several fun parks in the area.  The very first park we ever visited was Bothell Landing - a great park, playground, running trail and more, all on the river with plenty of hungry ducks. Our new babysitter said even though this sign is posted, many people still feed the ducks.
So yesterday we headed down to the water prepared to give them a snack. Carter was so excited and so was I.  Let's be honest, how many of us have a fun childhood memory of throwing tiny bits of bread to waddling ducks quacking away in delight?
Unfortunately my plan backfired.  As soon as I pulled out the first little piece and placed it in Carter's hand about 30 ducks swarmed the area all quacking away getting closer and closer.  Carter sensed my fear as I quickly began to realize these weren't friendly Donald Duck type ducks, but rather aggressive, greedy, very ready-to-steal-bread-out-of-your-hand type ducks.  I told Carter to throw his bread but instead he became so scared he just held on as tightly as he could.  Lucy just sat in the Ergo completely unfazed and I stomped by foot on the ground, thinking that would magically scare them all away.
When that didn't work I just screamed to Carter, "Run!" and threw the 1/2 loaf of bread as far away as possible.  I screamed like a little girl, Carter screamed like a little boy and we were quickly done.

 As soon as we were in a safe place Carter stopped and said in a very direct tone, "Mama, maybe we don't feed the ducks again.  Ever, ever again."  All I could do was laugh hysterically and hope no one watched what had just occurred.
So, maybe there was a reason to not feed the ducks.



0 comments:

Post a Comment