a 5 year old.

>> December 1, 2014

*posting 2 days early..I just couldn't wait!*
My little boy is now suddenly not so little. He's 5. 5 years old. A whole hand. Half a decade. A legit kid. 
How did this happen so quickly!? These last 5 years have taught me more about myself than any other time in my life. I have been tested, tired, challenged, questioned and judged. But I have also been loved, laughed, bonded and filled up. It's incredible how a simple child can teach you SO much.

At 5, Carter loves all things Legos, Rescuebots and Superheroes. A true boy. He is active and loves to run, bike, explore, swing and climb. He loves gymnastics and soccer. He is so ridiculously curious; at times getting himself into trouble just to learn a little bit more about something everything. He is generous. He has such a big heart for his friends and family and genuinely cares about how others are feeling. He is social; always ready to walk right up to another kid at the park and ask to be friends. He is smart. Not just like "I know my alphabet and like books" smart, but really pays attention to little details, asks thoughtful questions and remembers certain memories and events better than anyone I know. He is loving, so affectionate toward Lucy and always ready to give a hug. He is challenging. My goodness is he a challenge. He keeps me on my toes every.single.day. This past year has been one of testing limits, finding his independence and letting his voice be heard. We've learned a lot about each other, given each other countless apologies when we've gotten overwhelmed and have learned how to work as a team to reach new goals together.  

And now he's 5. This will be such a big year in his life. Finishing preschool, becoming a big brother (again), starting kindergarten. As sad as I am to see his baby years come to a close (and trust me, I'm incredibly sad...like tears flowing down my face as I think about it again - thank you pregnancy hormones), I am so excited to see him grow in the next year. I can't wait to see what lies ahead, work through the new phases of life, build new memories and love this kid even more than I ever imagined. 

He made me a mama and I couldn't be more proud to have him in our family.
Happy 5th Birthday Carter Thomas. You are such a great kid.




0 comments:

Post a Comment