our week.

>> February 16, 2018

As I think back on our week and all the fun moments we had I can't help but think of 17 families who don't have the same feelings. 17 families who instead of remembering a day of love and sweet treats are now planning funerals. 17 families whose lives were instantly changed by a maniac who had access to weapons he shouldn't have. This blog is a little place for me to capture our family memories and share pictures with family and friends. But since it's my blog I'm going to just go there. I'm tired of these stories, these senseless deaths, the endless debates on social media and then nothing. Nothing is done. Nothing is changed. Lives go on, move forward and we anxiously wait for the  next story. 
Last week in the midst of fun class parties and sports practices and play dates my 2 older kids also had a lock down drill. When I was in elementary school I had 2 drills. Fires and earthquakes. But now my 2nd grader and kindergartner not only practice mass evacuation drills in the event of nuclear bombs but also active shooter drills. They know if a "bear" was to walk on campus how to huddle up in their classroom in the corner, how to squeeze closely to their classmate and stay as quietly as possible, how to close their eyes and pretend they are sleeping in case that "bear" peeks through the windows. 
And it makes me sick. 
So, to the few people who actually read this little old blog of mine, I'd urge you and every single person you know to demand change. And not with thoughts and prayers. I'm a God loving Christian but that is just stupid, at this point, to think those words really mean anything anymore. If you voted for someone who receives money from the NRA or if you voted for someone who has done nothing change your vote. There are so many levels to this and problems and issues - it's not simple. Demand change in gun laws. A change in mental health services. A change in background checks and school safety regulations and a better way to report concerns. Anything, at this point, is a good start.
Because don't these 3 sweet children of mine deserve better?
I sure know those 17 families whose lives have been shattered do. And every other child that has been tragically killed while simply attending school.
I simply can't stand to see the leaders of this country do nothing. It's not fair, it's not responsible and it's not right.
Whew. 
So, our week. It was a good one and I'm constantly reminded by how lucky I am to have time with these kids. They drive me nuts at times but I'll take the hard times for the really wonderful times that are squished in between. Lucy is a little monkey and spends every single recess on the monkey bars. She is determined to double  hand, skip and pass certain bars on the playground and while I have no idea what that really means, it's apparently a big deal in kindergarten and she's meeting each and every goal she has for herself!
The big kids went to science night so I stayed home with Simon for a special movie night. His usual choice...Frozen!
Matt and I were able to sneak away for a date night and actually get to go on another one tomorrow night too! What?! 2 dates in 2 weeks! We went out to dinner at a local wine bar and it was delicious.
For the Super Bowl this year we went to a friends house and had so much fun. All the food, lots of cheering, kids playing and overall a great afternoon. I whipped up these homemade football brownies at the last minute because we had nothing for dessert. They were gobbled up pretty quickly between 7 kids and 6 adults.
We had playdates, basketball games and birthday parties too.


And even though it was cold the sun was shining so we spent as much time as we could outside.
Valentines Day (pics to come!), school dance week and more basketball games this weekend before a special midwinter break vacation!!








0 comments:

Post a Comment