growing up.

>> January 28, 2017

That little saying that goes, "the days are long but the years are short" struck me hard this week. Somedays I feel like all I do is go hour by hour to get things done, bags packed, dishes cleaned and meals made. But these last few days there have been moments that have made me stop and slow down. Moments where I step back and see how quickly these little people are changing and growing. And moments where I just want to freeze time and take it all in. 
Nothing significant really happened but in these little moments I am reminded what a great life I really have. How I need to slow down more often and appreciate the sweet times admit the frustrating ones or relish in the cuddles and hugs when I'm really just wanting some alone time. 
It's been a good week.

Weekends are usually go, go, go. Between me working some Saturdays, basketball games, tennis lessons, Sunday School and birthday parties it's rare we have much down time. But last weekend we had a lazy morning and it was so fun to just get out some old toys and play downstairs. 

 I surprised Matt last weekend with a date night. We don't get many and I had really, for months, been wanting to just go on a simple date with him. A nice, fancy dinner where we had time to just talk and not feel rushed. I asked a friend if she would watch the kids in return for a date night with her husband next weekend (babysitters are expensive so trading with friends is so much easier!), researched some local wineries and restaurants and planned the whole thing out. More surprisingly was how I kept my mouth shut. I'm known for not keeping secrets very well but this worked out according to plan and it was the perfect 4 hours away. 2 wine tastings and then a delicious meal paired with appetizers and dessert - amazing!! We can't wait to go back!

 Simon is just growing up so fast. He is busy (by far the most busy toddler we've had), gets into EVERYTHING and constantly keeps me on my toes. He wants to be a big kid so desperately so sitting at the table, using a spoon and feeding himself was a very big deal.
 We've had some really beautiful weather the last few days. When it hits 50 in January you get outside! Park dates have been so fun for all of us to run around and play. And in true PNW kid fashion, Lucy even asked me to pull out the swimming pool since it was so sunny. Ha! Not yet silly girl!


 Most kids have a special teddy bear or blanket they carry around with them. For Carter it has been his treasured Peter Pan doll. For years he has slept with him, loved on him and held him close. Lucy has a pink blanket that is so torn and tattered it's barely holding on. And Simon? Well, it's still early but I think this Seahawks football might be his special thing. He spotted it at Target the other day and hasn't really let go since. It's soft and squishy, just the right size for throwing and he's obsessed. I think Simon is going to be our big athlete. He loves to kick a soccer ball, throw a basketball (especially during warm-ups for Carter's games which is always fun for a toddler to run around while 49958373 basketballs get tossed in the air by 1st grade boys! EEK!) and adores watching football. For now we'll let him cuddle with this ball, it's so funny to watch!

 And the biggest news of the week? Lucy is now officially registered for kindergarten! How did this happen? She couldn't be more excited or ready to start. As we were walking in the school to turn in the forms she honestly thought she got to start that day and go visit her classroom. When I reminded her it was still 8 months away she was crushed. She is going to love kindergarten and have so much fun. And I'm going to miss her terribly when she's gone. Thank goodness Carter will be there to help her when she needs it, although, I'm not too worried.
 To celebrate we got a little ice cream treat and headed to the park! Here's to a fun, busy weekend ahead with more birthday parties, basketball games and family movie night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment