And now he's 8.

>> December 2, 2017


I couldn't decide if I was going to write a letter this year. Partly because I have so much to do for Carter's upcoming birthday party but more so, because I'm in such denial that he is 8. 8 feels old. It's big kid status. It's closer to 10, which is then closer to teenage years. Sheesh. 
But 8 is also so wonderful. And let's be honest, Carter is pretty wonderful too. 
So, here's a little letter to my first born, my brave, smart, fearless, curious Carter.


Dear Carter
You are 8! And you are incredible. This year has been one of so much growth for you (literally - like you are so stinkin' tall) and I couldn't be more proud to watch you grow. You have continued your love of reading and it's so fun to watch. You love all things Harry Potter and now enjoy any non-fiction book you can find. You soak up facts, dates and random trivia to then later quiz us on the answers. You are loving geography and memorized every U.S. state in less than 3 days. You really, really love school. It's awful if you ever have to miss a day. Your teachers are so proud of your work ethic and eagerness to try new things. This wasn't the case 2 years ago but you have really stepped up your game and now aren't afraid of simply trying. You are fearless and still love to climb to the top of tall trees. It's scares the  heck out of me but you do it anyways. You love sports. You have learned what your strengths and weaknesses are and really started learning how to practice your technique. It makes me so happy to see you throw a football around with Daddy or watch you practice basketball in the driveway. You love your friends so, so much. You are loyal and thoughtful and kind. You are so incredibly patient with your brother and sister, maybe even more than I am at times. You watch over them, teach them things they probably don't need to know but still protect them when I need help. 8 is going to be an incredible year for you, I just know it. Thank you for forgiving me when I screw up time and time again. Thank you for your big bear hugs at night and your cuddles in the morning. And, most of all - thank you for making me a mom. Because it brings me so much joy to watch you grow. I love you more than you love Peter Pan. Happiest 8th Birthday Carter!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment