'tis the season.

>> December 19, 2016

This entire month seems to be so busy but when I look back at pictures it's full of so many traditions, fun activities and lots of family time. I might go to bed exhausted but we all wake up excited the next day to see what's planned. I always think a slow, lazy month might be nice one year but there are so many things to see and do it's hard to not want to enjoy the Christmas festivities. Plus, we have plenty of Christmas movie nights each week to balance out the chaos!
Last weekend our family was asked to light the advent candle at church. We had a reading, a bible verse and a prayer to say before lighting the candle. I had the kids practice all week long and Lucy surprised me the day before by memorizing her verse! Totally not planned but was super proud of her. When they first asked me I was a little hesitant. Our family: squirmy kids who often get nervous being up on stage and are curious around open flames. It sounded like a bad idea. But these 3 kids were amazing! They stood still, spoke loud and clear into the microphone and patiently watched Matt light the candle. It was pretty great. Plus they looked adorable!


 I've been busy baking up a storm every day to get a variety of cookies baked for friends and family. It might seem like I went a little overboard (okay, so maybe I did and this is still missing 3 more types of cookies!) but I really love baking and giving away special treats. Lucy loves helping and has learned so much while Simon just plays in the pantry with anything he can get his hands on.


 The last week of school ended with a holiday sing-a-long assembly for Carter and an early birthday celebration for Lucy. Lucy got to bring 2 dozen sprinkled donuts for her friends and teachers to share, which was pretty fun. Carter finished his author share project by writing about his favorite gift he's ever received: his treasured Peter Pan doll. As much as he keeps growing up, this kid will always love Peter Pan!
 The night before Matt had to leave for a business trip we took the kids out to see Christmas lights. There is a local church nearby who puts on a fantastic show each year on their church building. It's set to music, has video clips inserted in, free cookies and hot chocolate, heated lamps to stay warm, an electric train and candy canes! We love going each year and the kids have fun running around dancing while watching the lights.




 On lazy mornings we stay in pj's and read lots of books. I found Simon sitting in the book basket enjoying a good book one day. Silly boy!
 While Matt was gone I took full advantage of more Christmas activities. We've made these super simple marshmallow snowmen for the past few years and the kids love how easy it is to decorate. We use marshmallows for the body, chocolate chips for the smile, raisins for the eyes and walnuts for the buttons. Add in some candy cane arms and it's complete!
 I'm not too crafty so the fact that this is a big hit for the kids makes me smile. I don't have to do much, other than keep Simon away from eating his marshmallows covered in glue. He may have eaten one or two....oops.

 I took the boys to get haircuts and our hair girl gave Lucy french braids since she had extra time! So cute! Then we spent some birthday money at the nearby ice cream shop. Because who doesn't want ice cream on one of the coldest days of the year?!?

 Simon is such a mini-me right now and copying every move we make. Luckily this time he was helping vacuum the living room. I think I have similar pictures of Carter and Lucy using the same little vacuum when they were this little too.
 Finally, this sweet girl will turn 5 tomorrow!!! There aren't enough words to express how much I love Lucy. She is full of sass lately and I can't believe how quickly this past year went by. Off to get ready to celebrate her today, can't wait!


0 comments:

Post a Comment